Sunday, January 09, 2005

I believe I'm going to be offended, therefore I will be: the Springer Opera Row

This practising Christian has no problem with the transmission of something with a few naughty words and an actor appearing as Christ. I do, however, have major concerns about a group claiming to represent the Church behaving like modern-day Pharisees.

I don't know if we'll watch the show or not; unlike Michael Ancram my TV has an off switch and the ability to let me change channels. As for Christian Voice, a group closely allied to US far right Christian fundamentalism, its members need to remember one thing - when the Church sets itself up as the all-seeing nanny and custodian of moral values, it risks alienating non-believers and causing further divisions in its own ranks: something that liberal and progressive members of the Church care about very much indeed.

Whenever the "let's get it banned" brigade start howling it's always as well to determine exactly who it is that thinks they know what's best for the rest of us, and why.

No comments: